History of Apsleys
Started by James Goodland who began to practice as an accountant in Kilkenny House, Taunton, Somerset, in 1904, moving to Hammet Street, Taunton in 1923. By 1912 he had opened a branch office in Station Road, Tiverton, Devon. This branch later moved to St Andrews Street Tiverton. The name of the firm became Goodland & Bull when Stanley Bull became a partner in 1932. This was changed to Goodland Bull & Co in 1936.
The Tiverton office moved to Bampton Street in 1954. The Taunton office moved into Bridgwater House, Corporation Street, in 1957 and into Apsley House in 1985. During this period the firm merged with Robson Rhodes but it underwent a demerger eight years later in 1987. An office in Wellington, Somerset, was acquired in 1986 when Robson Rhodes merged with the practice Hounsell, Hutchins & Co of 10 South Street. After the demerger, the firm adopted the name Apsleys. An office was opened in Exeter, Devon in 1988 at 10 Southernhay West.
In 1990 an office was opened in Dulverton, Somerset and in 1997 a further office opened in Minehead. The Exeter, Wellington and Taunton offices subsequently became independent and our Dulverton and Minehead offices closed following the retirement of one of the partners.
In November 2013 we opened a new office at 28 High Street, Wellington, which is run in parallel with our long standing office at 21 Bampton Street, Tiverton. In September 2017 our Wellington office was relocated to 22 South Street.